Tuesday 22 May 2007

Melbourne, the best British city outside Britain?

"Winter's only 10 days away folks!" the cheery perma-tanned newscaster said glibbly from Channel 7's studios.
Don't I know it. Leaden grey skies are forming ominously overhead as I walk from my friend Bernie's house to the tram stop in East St Kilda. I'm wearing layers for the first time in months and my sandals are consigned to the wardrobe. Welcome to off-peak Australia!

Why I chose to come to the best city in Australia just when it's getting cold and wet is beyond me. Last time I was here in 2000, it was the most enjoyable of the cities I visited 'Down Under'. Looking around the centre of town yesterday nothing I saw changed that view.

As I meandered through the central area, I felt immediately at home. The bustling cafe's, the vibrant art scene and even the self important parliament building reminded me of, well, Blighty!. And even more of London and Glasgow. Now if any Melburnians read this and start frothing at the mouth, hold on one second and lets go over a few similarities:

A huge newly renovated South Bank of the river arts complex - check!
Inviting pubs on most corners selling European beer - check!
A grid system with cool little alleyways and tiny covered malls to explore - Glasgow check!
Lot's of folk running from the rain in scarfs and hats - check!
An underground train system which loops around the city and you have no idea how to get anywhere - check!
Important overly caffineated people scurrying to work in Skyscrapers - check!
Cool people hanging out in designer bars in interesting neighbourhoods - check! (Just swap Camden town for St Kilda and Hoxton for Fitzroy).
An obsession with local football teams - check! (except it's aussie rules here, annoyingly the umpires don't dress in butchers overalls anymore).
A culturally significant boat just gone up in flames - ermmm......

See?, case closed. I've kind of avoided the fact that Melbourne also has some fine beaches, parks and seems a lot more laid back than the Big Smoke, but that's just nit picking....

No comments: