Wednesday 9 April 2008

Groundhog day


So back to the Embassy for a second try. A sunny morning, and I'm in a positive mood. Could I do this all before 10am? Were the Gods of Visa on my side..?

Were they hell!

The Queue at 8am was worse than the queue at 11am the previous day. I started talking to other seasoned Visa queuers. I might get to the front of the queue by 11am they said. As I had to start work an hour before that, my heart sank like a stone.

So I joined the queue out of blind optimism anyway, just to see if it would move AT ALL. It did, bang on 9am, but my hopes of a quick turnaround were receding fast. People in front of me had come prepared, with books, music and giant cups of coffee to while away the hours before getting processed by the people's republic.

My disappointment was only leavened by a courier who obviously had left the gig too late and tried begging his way into the middle of the queue. This being England, we were having none of it, and he promptly got sent packing around the corner to the very back.

So with time definitely not on my side, I left the embassy still without my Visa. Now I have the hard earned knowledge that I'll have to be up with the milkmen, and start queuing a lot earlier if I'm going to get that darn paperwork.

Props out to my fellow queuer DJ Storm, I hope the Beijing gig goes well, and the sun shines for you...

No comments: