Wednesday 18 July 2007

Caves and Quaffing


I've just arrived in Margaret River, which if anyone has been looking at the shelves of their local Oddbins recently is where some really nice plonk comes from. It is also famous for some very good surf at the river head, if you're brave enough (which I'm not - the waves are bloody huge), and some outstanding limestone caves.
Ngilgi Cave, is 28 meters deep and full of amazing stalagmites (they grow up) and stalactites (yup, they grow down). A bloke out trying to find his lost horse, came across the cave in 1899, and with a mate decided it would be a good weeze to show tourists around. In those days you had to crawl on your hands and knees with a candle to get through the system. Now they've put in useful things like electricity and steps. It's alot easier to navigate around but I bet it was more fun in those days.
After leaving the caves I headed south and hit the wineries. Most have open cellars and tastings. So in full 'Sideways' mode, I went to a few to check them out. It's all good fun pretending you know something about wine. I pretty much know nothing, but with a few choice phrases half remembered from old 'Food and Drink' shows I gave it a go.
Vasse Felix is the oldest of the wineries and is now a large concern. The driveway up to the sculptured lake and restaurant is impressive. Once inside you can sup on some very nice Chardonnay and some okay Cabarnet Merlot. I had a big temptation to pipe up with the line, "If any one orders f**king Merlot, I'm leaving!" But I managed to contain myself.
I pootled around some of the other wineries; (Laurence, Moss Brothers and Cullen's) just to get the full experience. I managed picked up a couple of decent bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon. With no room in the backpack looks like I'll have to drink them before my flight up to sunny Darwin on Monday. Chin Chin!

No comments: